10 Reasons You Should Join Encore Youth Chorus Right Now
• EYC is a great place to make friends. Scientific studies have shown the community-buiding power of being in a singing group. As a matter of fact, joining a singing group can help you make friends faster than any other group. Come by the first rehearsal on Aug 24 at the Crossroads Baptist Church (Tezel and Guilbeau Roads) and see for yourself. No obligation to jon, just come by and take a look.
• You don’t have to be a great singer. EYC does not require an audition to join the main choir (The separate Treble, Men’s and Chamber Groups do require an audition). For the main group, you don’t need any prior musical experience to join EYC. That’s the magic of a big choir – even if you don’t quite know the right notes, there are dozens of people around you that do.
• EYC is a great Stress-Reliever. EYC Wednesday afternoon rehearsals with Mrs. Oehlert will quickly become your favorite part of the week. That’s because music has an innate emotional power to relieve the stresses and anxieties of your daily grind.
• You get to wear formal clothes. You don’t need to wait for a wedding or a funeral to wear a tuxedo or gown. When you perform with EYC, black gowns and tuxedos are typical uniforms for choral performers. Think of it – you get to sing AND look good – no matter what your music skill level is.
• You get to go on tour. Every other year, EYC plans a tour to another part of the state. One year EYC toured Dallas and McKinney, Texas. EYC has performed in the rotunda at the Texas State Capitol and with the college choirs at Baylor University. You never know where EYC is going to go on tour this year.
• You get to sing all kinds of music. EYC does more than just sing/perform classical music. We have performed modern pop hits, patriotic songs, folks songs, hymns and even some songs you’ve probably never heard of. The best thing about EYC is the variety of music performed.
• You don’t need to be able to read music. Many current members of EYC do not read music and that is OK. That’s the beauty of singing in a group – you can learn form those around you. One thing is for sure, when you’ve completed your first year with EYC, you’ll definitely be able to read music.
• No expensive instruments required. As Mrs. O will tell you, the voice IS an instrument. Fortunately, you already have all the instrument you’ll ever need – a voice. You won’t have to pay a lot for a specialized band or orchestra instrument at EYC. Just add your voice!
• The best people are Choir Geeks. EYC has been the starting place for many great relationships through the years. This is a place where you make friends that last a lifetime. Some of the first members have gone on to graduate from college and still maintain friendships made in EYC more than seven years ago.
• Parents are a big part of EYC’s ongoing success. Whether you are a parent who likes to sit on the sidelines or if you want to be fully involved with the inner-workings of EYC, this is the place for you. If you want to be involved, please contact Nancy Oehlert, Director at 210-416-3312.
We hope to see you soon at EYC!